Thursday, July 21, 2011

No really, From Russia with Love

Yes, I do love everything 60's.  Sean Connery to me, was James Bond - the only Bond necessary.  But this isn't a blog about Sean Connery, James Bond or any Hollywood picture.  (at least, not this posting)...  So, how did I get to James Bond, aside from his 2nd movie, "From Russia with Love", you ask?  I'll tell you & better than that, I'll show you!!



This, my dear friends, is a 3D (lenticular) postcard, giving the "illusion of depth".  These are my most favourite postcards of all :)   And a very lovely lady (from Russia with Love) sent this wonderful view of The Church of the Resurrection of Christ, or "Our Saviour-on-the-Spilt-Blood".  It only took 51 days to get from Russia to Canada ;)  Of course, we did have postal strike that lasted 1 month here in Canada during that time.  Well worth the wait, at any rate.

So what was my 60's reference?  Aside from the movie  "From Russia with Love" being released in 1963, I am sent back in time when I look at a lenticular photograph or 3D postcard.  I don't know why - maybe it's those praying hands or Mary postcards that were so popular back then.  Haha..  Or the serene scene of a deer and her fawn sitting so peacefully in a meadow - (tho' now that I think about it, were they taxidermied & set up in a studio?... I wonder).  I believe this type of postcard was popular in the 60's.  According to the Evolution of Lenticular webpage, it is the "1950s and 60s: Lenticular Becomes popular in the form of trinkets:  Lenticular trinkets became popular in the form of postcards and magazine covers."Le

So there we have it.  A good reason to be reminded of the 60's when I see such a fantastic representation of a 3D / Lenticular postcard.  And this is a beauty!  In response to this sender's similar interest & the fact that she was so kind to send me such a cool example of a 3D postcard, I am going to send her one from my own collection (and hopefully, I will be able to find another).  A 3D postcard of an actual place in Vancouver, BC!  I couldn't believe it when I actually found this card - that in modern time, there was a place that sold this postcard...




And here it is... the Bloedel Conservatory in Queen Elizabeth Park.  Trust me, it is very rare to find 3D postcards in British Columbia, or more specifically of anything representing British Columbia!  And this I found at a tourist shop in Gastown, at 50% off!  Which kind of tells me, there won't be any more left if I ever get back there. :(  You see, I no longer live in the skirts of Vancouver.  But, I shall cherish it's memories as if time had stopped the day I left the 3rd zone.
ticular trinkets became popular in the form of postcards and magazine covers. 
Lenticular trinkets became popular in the form of postcards and magazine covers.   

Lenticular trinkets became popular in the form of postcards and magazine covers.   


No comments:

Post a Comment